Fish fry

These are my experiences for trying to find the best fish fry in Green Bay and surrounding areas.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Maricque's Bar

Maricque's Bar
1517 Univerisity Av
Green Bay, WI

Maricque's Bar is a popular place on Friday nights. When I arrived (at 4:45pm) the parking lot for Maricque's Bar was already full. I was lucky as someone was just pulling out and I managed to take the spot before the next vehicle arrived. The parking is tight and I am wondering how many fender benders have occurred there over the years.
Maricque's Bar appears to have a loyal following. Most of the patrons were over the age of sixty with only a few under thirty.
I sat down at the bar and ordered the 4 perch plate dinner for $9.25.This included perch (actually it turned out to be 8 perch) and a piece of buttered bread with an onion slice on it. I also ordered a side of onion rings (as I wanted more than just fish and a slice of bread) for an extra $3.95. The Mellow Yellow was $1.75.
The wait on the fish was not long. It took about 20 minutes. When I asked for extra tartar sauce (which wasn't nearly enough for the amount of fish) the waitress returned briefly with more sauce. At Maricque's there are no utensils to eat with. Everyone I saw ate with their hands. I didn't mind eating with my hands either.
The fish was quite tasty and the onion rings were good too. The men's bathroom, on the other hand, was confusing. On the outside of the bathroom it said "kings" but on the inside it said "women". At one point I wondered if I had entered the wrong room.
I gave "Maricque's "an overall score of 4 stars for service, 3 stars for the fish fry, and minus 1 star for parking -- the limited entry to Maricque's caused a SUV to back itself back on to University Avenue -- an accident waiting to happen.

1 comment: